Monday, January 10, 2011

White Velvet Cake with Chocolate Frosting


This week's Heavenly Cake challenge was a simple cake but it brought with it plenty of possibilities.  The cake itself was a simple white cake that was not very flavorful but had a great crumb and a sturdy structure.  I am sure that I will use this cake as a base for other cakes in the future.  The chocolate frosting was simple to prepare and had a great shine to it.  I didn't have milk chocolate so I used double chocolate chips instead and this too tasted great.  I didn't mind the stronger chocolate flavor that Rose was trying to avoid.  I also loved the slow lava-like swoopiness of this frosting.  It spoke to my deep admiration for all things creamy and dreamy.  All in all the taste and textures were very good.

I have to admit that I am still not use to Rose's batter assemblies.  I agree that they  produce wonderful textures but I still feel like I haven't read the instructions correctly.  If you are a Rose newbie, push past the strange steps and welcome to the world of cakes with great structure.

Yum!

4 comments:

  1. This looks lovely..the full chocolate thick layer of ganache..my kind of cake. Now you make me wonder why i ever decide to make it into cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow your frosting looks so lovely and velvety!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks lovely. I agree this is the perfect white cake and "doll it up" with chocolate - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh, I recognize those plates. Makes me wish I was there with you guys eating a piece of cake right now. Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete