Sweet Memories


When I was in elementary school, my mom packed my lunch with nutritious brain food everyday.  She would always pack an apple, money for milk and a sandwich (never PB & J).  BORING!!!  In hind sight, I can appreciate her efforts to help me grow strong and be prepared for school each day.  But....   I NEVER had the sweets that the other kids had.  For those of you that know me personally, you know how terrible this was for me.  I love, love, love cakes, chocolates, puddings, pies.... the list goes on and on.  Well, when I was in high school I finally broke free from my mom's lunch control and ate Ho-Ho's for lunch at least two times a week.  At the time, they were sooo good.  Recently, I was looking for a treat for my nieces and nephew and I saw a box of them at the store.  I excitedly opened the box with them while I was explaining how great they where.  Much to my surprise, they didn't taste great.  They are more sweet then chocolate-y.  Actually, they are painfully sweet.  I was kind of disappointed but it really didn't matter since I didn't plan on buying anymore for a long time (I am now the adult that insists on boring healthful food.  wink wink).

Well... I was watching Cook's Country TV and these came on!  Adult Hostess Cupcakes!!  Can you believe it??!!??!!

CHOCOLATE CREAM CUPCAKES




1cup all-purpose flour
1/2teaspoon baking soda
1/4teaspoon Salt
1/2cup boiling water
1/3cup cocoa powder
1/3cup semisweet chocolate chips
1tablespoon instant espresso
3/4cup sugar
1/2cup sour cream
1/2cup vegetable oil
2large eggs
1teaspoon vanilla extract
FILLING
3tablespoons water
3/4teaspoon unflavored gelatin
4tablespoon (1/2 stick) unsalted butter , softened

Pinch salt
1 1/4cups marshmallow créme (see note)
GLAZE
1/2cup semisweet chocolate chips
3tablespoons unsalted butter 











Instructions 

1. MAKE BATTER Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 12-cup muffin tin. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in bowl. Whisk water, cocoa, chocolate chips, and espresso in large bowl until smooth. Add sugar, sour cream, oil, eggs, and vanilla and mix until combined. Whisk in flour mixture until incorporated. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out with few dry crumbs attached, 18 to 22 minutes. Cool -cupcakes in tin 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack and cool completely. 

2. PREPARE FILLING Combine water and gelatin in large bowl and let sit until gelatin softens, about 5 minutes. Microwave until mixture is bubbling around edges and gelatin dissolves, about 30 seconds. Stir in butter, vanilla, and salt until combined. Let mixture cool until just warm to touch, about 5 minutes, then whisk in marshmallow creme until smooth; refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes. Transfer 1/3 cup marshmallow mixture to pastry bag fitted with small plain tip; reserve remaining mixture for filling cupcakes. 

3. ASSEMBLE CUPCAKES Microwave chocolate and butter in small bowl, stirring occasionally, until smooth, about 30 seconds. Cool glaze to room temperature, about 10 minutes. Following photos 1 to 3 at left, cut cone from top of each cupcake and fill cupcakes with 1 tablespoon filling each. Replace tops, frost with 2 teaspoons cooled glaze, and let sit 10 minutes. Using pastry bag, pipe curlicues across glazed cupcakes. Serve. (Cupcakes can be stored in airtight container at room temperature for 2 days.)


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts