Chocolate Mousse - Delightful!!

My family celebrated my Dad's birthday this week and I always like to make a special sweet for him rather then buying him something he never uses.  The problem is that recently he has really restricted his intake of refined flours and sugars.  This posed a challenge for me because I love to bake with both of these ingredients.  (I am not on the gluten-free bus.  Take me to glutenville and leave me there.)  I wanted to make something tasty for him and this is what I came up with.  While this recipe has white sugar in it, it is not much.  Additionally, the beautiful thing about dark chocolate is that you don't need much to satisfy your sweet tooth.  Personally, I like the combination of Irish Cream and chocolate.  I find that the Irish Cream mellows the bitterness of the dark chocolate.  I hope you like it too.



Classic Chocolate Mousse - adapted from Baking by James Peterson

6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 c. plus 2 Tbsp. butter, cubed or slices
4 egg yolks
3 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. Bailey's Irish Cream
1 c. heavy whipping cream, whipped

Combine chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat, stopping frequently to stir.  Do not over heat.  Stir until smooth.  Set aside.
Combine the egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl and set it over a saucepan of barely simmering water.  Whisk for about 5 minutes, or until pale and slightly stiff.  Remove from the heat.  Stir the chocolate mixture into the egg yolks, add the Irish Cream, and stir until well mixed.  Let cool to room temperature.
When chocolate mixture is cool, stir in about 1/4 of the whipped cream to lighten.  Then fold in the remaining whipped cream with a rubber spatula.
Spoon or pipe the mousse into desired glasses or bowls.  Garnish with additional whipped cream, fruit, nuts or coffee beans.  Enjoy!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts