Sunday, February 20, 2011

Meyer Lemon Crown Cake




This week Heavenly Bakers had a free choice week so I decided on this beauty.  A few factors helped me make this choice.

1.  My Mom was coming home from Dubai so I needed a  non-chocolate treat to welcome her home.
2.  Meyer Lemons are still ready available and my Dad just bought me a bag to play with.  If you haven't tried these yet, try them!  My sister made lemon bars with them and OH MY GOODNESS!!!
3.  I have always wanted to make Lady Fingers from scratch.

So with all these reasons backing me, I started the process.  The Lady Fingers were a snap.  I don't know why I was so intimidated.  I know I could use a little more practice piping them but I thought they looked decent.  I baked two sheets at a time and one of them got a little darker but they did not burn so I used them.  Then I moved on to the lemon curd.  I used the double boiler method and the result was a creamy curd with not a curdle in sight.  I added a little extra zest (because I really like it).  Then I cooled the curd over ice and mixed it into the whipped cream.  I poured the cream into my prepared Lady Finger lined mold and into the freezer it went.  The next day, I topped the cake with meringue and torched it with my mini blow torch.

This cake was a pleasure from start to finish.  It was easy to assemble and one of my sisters said that this was her favorite dessert I have ever made!!  I have to admit that I was a little flattered.  I have great cheerleaders!

5 comments:

  1. How beautiful does that cake look! wow... love the green ribbon around it. Looking at it makes me want to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You ROCKED it!! Wish I was there to enjoy it with you guys!! Welcome back, Mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that top photo looks so professional! i can only image how delicious it would be with meyer lemons--yum!

    ReplyDelete