Monday, November 1, 2010

Bostini

The words "Boston Cream Pie" makes most people that I know respond with one simple word: where?!!  It's form does not matter.  It can be a donut, a cake, a trifle or a cupcake.  This week I made the famous Bostini.

 
This little delight has popped up on many food blogs.  It's popularity is almost unprecedented.  So... when the Heavenly Bakers decided to make this little gem, I was game.  I started with the cake.  Rose suggests making the cake orange flavor and nothing about that sounded appetizing to me.  I am not one to mix fruit and chocolate.  Actually, I don't like to mix chocolate with anything except Irish Cream, vanilla, nuts or coconut.  Oh, and caramel.  I made the cake with vanilla.  I liked the cake's texture as well as its flavor when it came out of the oven.  So far so good.  I then moved on to the vanilla bean pastry cream.  It was good.  A little too good.  Last but not least the chocolate sauce.  I kind of wish I would have made a ganache instead of the butter/chocolate mixture.  The velvetiness of ganache trumps just about any other chocolate sauce in my humble opinion. 
In the end, these little beauties were good.  I have a bad habit of comparing all Boston Cream Pies with the original from the Omni Hotel in Boston.  I had the privilege of tasting the original a few years back and let me tell you all, IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!! While these were not as delicious as the original, they were definitely tasty and worth making again. 

9 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous presentation! It looks like something out of a fancy restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maja - great presentation and I agree, usually it's hard to compare to the original, but this was a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful- I love your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tasting the original - oh don't do that to me. I will just have to enjoy this one though. And I really loved it - that subtle orange, cream, ganache - I loved it decadence as the chocolate brimmed over the sides. Oops, I know I have to make it again. Yours looked so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was delicious. The only suggestion I would have is next time serve it with a side of the pudding. I may only be half joking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the dish you served it in. I bet it was easier to eat than in the big tall glass. Looks very pretty!

    ReplyDelete