Eibrot


My niece and I share many traits, including our name, but the prominent trait is definitely our sweet tooth.  This girl takes after my own heart!  My girl is always asking me to bake with her or buy her a sweet treat.  Most of the time I do because I want the same thing she does.  A few days ago, M asked me to make the sweet bread thing that we made together last year.   I immediately knew what she was talking about and we made a plan to make this sweet treat for breakfast when her dad arrived.  This is basically french toast in little pieces and then covered in a melted sugar syrup.  I think this tastes great with Challah, but any bread will do.  Pair it with sausage and some fruit and you have a breakfast fit for any sweet loving person.

Eibrot

5 eggs
2 c whole milk
1 t vanilla extract
1/4 t cinnamon
8 c bread, cut into 1 inch cubes (I use Challah)
6 T vegetable oil,divided
6 T butter, divided
1 c sugar, divided

Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon together in a large bowl.  Add 4 c bread cubes to the bowl and toss.  Allow bread to sit until soaked, about 5 minutes.
Heat 3 T oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Slightly squeeze the bread cubes and add them to the pan in a single layer.  (At this point, add the remaining bread cubes to the remaining egg mixture to soak.)  Saute until golden on all sides.  (Keep the cubes spaced so that they brown on all sides rather then cook together.)  Add 3 T butter to the pan and stir until melted.  Sprinkle in 1/2 c sugar over bread and toss until sugar is melted and syrupy.  Transfer to a serving dish and repeat sauteing cubes, melting butter, sprinkling sugar with the remaining bread cubes.
Serve with fruit.  Yum! Yum!

Comments

Popular Posts