Chocolate Midnight Cake

I was never a big fan of calling a super moist chocolate laden cake "Devil's Food Cake."  What is that all about???  Who would do such a thing?  And so... I am going to call it Chocolate Midnight Cake!  I LOVE that name!  It is descriptive and intriguing and it just sounds good.

I embarked on this cakes journey with excitement and a little trepidation.  I do not have the best luck with chocolate cakes.  They are usually not chocolate-y enough and generally dry and crumble-y.  Well... it must be something that I am doing wrong because most of the other baker's cakes look great and moist and deliciously chocolate-y.  Not mine my friends.  Mine was dense (not good dense), dry and bitter (not luscious).  The frosting was also disappointing.  It took WAY too long!  I was hoping for a creamier frosting with a slightly thicker consistency.  Instead, I found the frosting to be a little thin and the cocoa added too much bitter dryness. 

For those of you that know  me, you know what a terrible sport I am and so... I will not be posting a picture of my hidious cake.  I am going to let all of you enjoy my fellow Heavenly Baker's cakes without the embarassment of comparing it to mine.  I will take myself to the opposit end of the "Featured Baker" spot and sulk.  The end.

Comments

  1. Oh, I am so sorry this did not work out for you -my luncheon friends loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have had trouble with Rose's chocolate cakes, and that's coming from someone who loves chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if your problem might be the cocoa powder? Some brands have a low (naturally ocurring) cocoa butter content, and that makes them bake up bitter, overly intense, dense and dry. Look for a good quality dutched cocoa with 20-25% fat by weight.

    Low-fat brands have only 10% cocoa butter by weight, this includes Hershey's and Equal Exchange, but there may be others as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts