Apple Pie


I entered a apple pie and dessert contest two weekends ago.  Last year I won first place in the dessert contest.  I was so excited.  The chef and owner of my favorite bakery (Give Thanks Bakery)  was the judge and I was honored to bake for him.  This year was a different story.  There were no foodies as judges which really irritated me.  Instead two local newscasters and a guy from Whole Foods picked a Strawberry, Rhubarb, Apple Pie as the winner.  THAT IS NOT APPLE PIE!!  I am a sore loser.  I know I am a sore loser.  I was ticked.
Enough of that.  I must move one.  Below is my recipe.  I love this crust.  It always works out!

Apple Streusel Nut Pie

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Streusel  (I keep this in my freezer so that it is always ready for use on muffins, cakes and pies) adapted from here.

1 pound of butter (4 sticks) melted
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt
5 cups flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Stir together white and brown sugars with salt, flour and cinnamon.  Pour melted butter on dry ingredients.  Mix together with a wooden spoon until fully incorporated and the mixture  starts to form clumps. Store extra in freezer bag in freezer. 

Crust adapted from here
2 cup all-purpose flour2 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup ice cold unsalted butter, cut into tbsp pieces
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 Tbsp. ice water

Combine vanilla extract and ice water with 2 ice cubes in a small bowl and set aside.

In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, and salt and pulse six times.  Add cold butter and pulse until mixture looks like breadcrumbs.  Slowly add vanilla/water mix tablespoon at a time while processor is running.  I usually use about four tablespoons.  (This is the only tricky part to this recipe.  Once the dough starts to clump into big lumps - stop adding liquid.)  Dump dough onto counter and knead for 30 seconds to develop a dough that holds together and can be rolled.  On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to fit your pie plate.  Place in pie plate, crimp edges and dock (this is the word that means poke holes all over the bottom of the crust with a fork). 

Apple Filling

6-7 apples, peeled, seeded and cut into thin slices
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup apple sauce
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. instant tapioca

Combine all ingredients together and let sit for 15 minutes before placing in pie plate.

Assemble:  Combine, 1 cup Streusel, 1 cup pecans and 1 cup sliced almonds.  Set aside.
Pour apple filling into prepared pie crust.  Pour streusel mixture over apple filling.  Press down lightly.  Place pie on a baking sheet.  Bake pie for 15 minutes on 425 degrees.  Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 35-40 minutes.  Pie should be beautifully golden.  Allow the pie to cool for at least an hour.  It will settle and set during this time.  Enjoy!

Comments

  1. I will be attempting your pie dough recipe today. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I plan on making it this weekend! wish me luck. I will report back! great blog Maja :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck girls! I know you will rock it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts