Powdered Buttermilk???

There was a time when making a coffeecake was a real struggle for me.  The deciding factor was buttermilk.  I dreaded buying buttermilk, using half a cup and then having a carton rot in my fridge and then..... I stumbled upon this:
 

Powdered buttermilk!  What a great invention!  It is so easy to use.  Basically, for every 1/4 cup of buttermilk, you add 1 tablespoon of the powder to your dry ingredients and 1/4 cup water to your wet ingredients.  It works great.  I cannot detect a difference between this product and the liquid version.  So from now on, do not be afraid of curdled, soured dairy.  Buy this stuff and bake, bake, bake!

Comments

  1. I love this stuff and it practically doesn't go bad (I keep it in the fridge). At America's Test Kitchen they actually preferred this powder over "real" buttermilk. Their baked goods came out better. I switched to the powder stuff about a year ago.

    Oops... just realized that your name is Maja, not Maria (per Marie's last post on Heavenly Cake Place). Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts